Certified Brain Injury Specialist Trainer (CBIST)
Certified Brain Injury Specialist Trainers (CBISTs) are approved to provide official ACBIS training. CBISTs demonstrate advanced skills in the field of brain injury and maintain their skills through continuing education.
From April 17 to May 2, you will not be able to submit a new application. Complete applications (including resume, employment verification, and payment) must be submitted by April 16.Click Here for Full Notice
CBIST applications are maintained for one year, beginning on the date of application. Applicants have the full year to complete the process (application approval, testing, and retesting if necessary). If the applicant fails to complete the process, they will be required to reapply.
Complete and submit a User Account Setup Form. A confirmation email with important information regarding your next steps will be delivered to your inbox.
Upon receipt of the User Account Setup Confirmation Email, please complete the online CBIST Application Form provided. Click here for instructions on how to complete the application. You will need to attach your resume/CV in Word or PDF format.
Along with the CBIST Application Form, you will need to pay your application fee. Applications cannot be processed until payment has been confirmed.
- If you wish to make your payment via check, please include this accompanying form and remember to include your check number in the designated field on the CBIST Application Form.
- Credit card payments may be made in BIAA’s Marketplace by clicking here. Please remember to include the BIAA Marketplace confirmation number in the designated field on the CBIST Application Form.
In addition to the electronic application, candidates are required to provide supporting documentation. Below is a list of supporting documentation you may need to submit to ACBIS:
- University or college transcript (required)
- Certificate of attendance or materials to indicate presenter status at conferences, workshops, or seminars
- Syllabus indicating applicant is the instructor
- Front page of published article, newsletter, chapter, book that demonstrates authorship
- Letter from supervisor or director stating applicant’s experience with in-service training and/or activity/support group facilitation, which must be written on company letterhead and must include the dates in which the training/events occurred.
- Other types of documentation with prior approval from the ACBIS office
Upon submission of the CBIST Application Form, an Employment Verification Form will be sent to your listed employer for completion. Your supervisor will be asked to attest for your employment and experience in the field of brain injury.
Please note that self verification is not allowed. In a position of self-employment, an applicants eligibility must be verified by a professional colleague or supervising board member.
Once your complete application (form, payment, employment verification, and supporting documentation) is received, your file will go up for review – after which, if approved, you must identify an acceptable proctor and have your proctor schedule your examination.
Once you have passed the examination, you will participate in a “Train-the-Trainer” webinar. The certification will be issued upon completion.
Instructions to Transition from CBIS to CBIST Certification
The process described below is intended for those who are transitioning from CBIS to CBIST certification. Please ensure that you have met the requirements to transition. If you are unsure if you meet the requirements or would like to do a “pre-approval”, you are welcome to complete and return this questionnaire along with a copy of your resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. This helps both CBIST applicants and ACBIS determine eligibility prior to submitting a full application and payment.
Current CBIS certificants must complete the entire application process with the exception of taking the examination. Candidates who wish to transition must submit everything as described in steps 2-5. Candidates will need to use their existing CBIS credentials to complete and submit the electronic CBIST application. Please email us for further information and access to the application.