Caregivers and Veterans Omnibus Health Services Act of 2010
In May 2010, President Obama signed the Caregivers and Veterans Omnibus Health Services Act of 2010 (Public Law 111-163), authorizing the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to establish a wide range of new services to support caregivers, including:
- Access to VA’s toll-free Caregiver Support Line: 1-855-260-3274,
- Expanded education and training on caring for Veterans at home,
- Other support services, such as counseling and support groups and referral services, and
- An enhanced website for caregivers (www.caregiver.va.gov).
The law authorizes additional benefits and services for eligible Veterans who were disabled in the line of duty since September 11, 2001. Caregivers of “Post 9/11 Veterans” are eligible for the following:
- A monthly stipend,
- Health care coverage,
- Travel expenses, including lodging and per diem while accompanying Veterans undergoing care,
- Respite care, and
- Mental health services and counseling.